A technique for practicing Bhastrika. This is an energizing and cleansing breathing technique.
- Start by relaxing the shoulders and taking slow, deep, abdominal breaths.
- Exhale completely.
- Start deep forceful inhalations and exhalations at one second per cycle through the nose.
- Do this for 10 breaths, and then return to normal breathing.
- Continue to breathe normally for 15-30 seconds.
- Start the next round of breathing for 20 breaths.
- Return to normal breathing for 30 seconds.
- Begin the last round of 30 breaths, and resume normal breathing.
Note: the energized and invigorated feeling after performing this pranayama technique. Increases the metabolism.
- In the morning to start the body and mind.
- During the day when feeling lethargic, or sleepy.
Do not perform before bedtime. It may prevent falling asleep.